Wednesday, May 25, 2011








[SO NEAR AND YET SO FARe]


Havana, Cuba is not far from Miami in geographical distance – 228 air miles (a 45 minute flight). But in time-travel distance, it is sixty years in the past, a place caught in the fifties. For Americans who go there for a week or two it is quaint, perhaps even nostalgic, especially if you owned cars in the forties and fifties. My history of car ownership was brought home to me as I once again, and in the flesh, saw my ’48 Plymouth, my beautiful turquoise and white ’54 Chevrolet and two other fifties cars I do not care to think about. I had heard about the old cars of Cuba but I was greatly surprised to find them in such abundance and in active service as taxis scooting all over town. One cannot help but be impressed by the effort and genius required to keep these cars running. They are patched, taped, wired and welded together and like the old Timex commercial, “They take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’”

I was in Cuba for a week with a group of photographers, Our leader and guide, Lorne Resnick, a professional photographer from Los Angeles, an experienced traveler in Cuba, was able to provide great photo opportunities, take us to outstanding restaurants, and introduce us to friends he has come to know through the years. The only subjects off limits for photography were policemen and official government buildings, though from time to time they would make an appearance in a picture. www.lorneresnick.com

We spent the entire time, except for one day, in Old and Central Havana. It is aptly named “Old.” These parts of Havana are crumbling and in desperate need of repair and infrastructure. Some neighborhoods are in much better condition. The area just west of Central Havana is a neighborhood of wide streets, attractive houses, and clipped lawns.

As a sociologist, I know one should not make gross generalizations based on limited observations. But I must tell you, everwhere we went we saw and met people who were living lives of quiet destitution, or worse. Opportunities for employment are limited and for those who do work, salaries are extremely meager. I was told doctors make twenty pesos a month.

But we experienced another side of Cubans. Traditionally, Cubans seem to be a joyous people. They have a rich history of music, dance, and art that cannot be suppressed. We saw that every day and even participated in it. One of our group, Ashly Stohl, even found the Cuban skate boarders, an evolving group of young men, like young men everywhere, who keep trying to break the bounds of earth. I found one of Havana’s best primitive artists, Nati, and bought one of her beautiful paintings. And the music and dance. How wonderful it is!

On the plane back to Miami I thought about two things – the people and the cars – and it came to me that the cars are but a metaphor for the people: that in spite of being patched, taped, wired, and welded together, they, like their cars, “take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’”

I have exerted great restraint and am including only six photographs. I wanted to place them at the end of the article but did not know how to place them. Blogging is still rather new for me. I need help!








1 comment:

  1. The photo of the woman on the roof is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete